Thursday, November 15, 2007

Chicago

Last weekend, Kyle and I and our friends Barb and Jim, spent the weekend in Chicago. We stayed in Schaumburg but made a trip downtown on Saturday. Friday afternoon we did some shopping, which along with playing cards was a big theme of our trip. Friday night we played Euker, a card came that I have played forever but we just taught Barb and Jim. Barb and Kyle were partners and Jim and I were partners. I believe it is in the best interest of a marriage to make a point of NOT being partners while playing cards. Of the three of them I am clearly the most conservative card player. Jim and I lost on Friday but we had won the last time we played so no big deal. On Saturday Barb and Jim taught us how to play Spades. O.K. to be honest they taught Kyle how to play spades. Euker is easy. I understand euker. There are less cards in euker. There is less addition in euker. Your partner doesn't have the opportunity to do some thing called going "blind nill". Jim LOVES to go blind nill, which means he can't take a single trick for that hand and he decides this prior to looking at his cards. Then it becomes his partner's job to "cover" him so he doesn't take any tricks. Did I mention that I am a conservative card player? The concept of blind nill makes me nauseous! In addition to that I had to deal with something called "bags" which are tricks you take above the amount you bid. For example I bid 3 I take 4 that means we have one bag. After you take a certian number of bags points are deducted from your score. Oh wait, I can't forget that Jim gives me "signs" to try and let me know what he is going to do. I sat across from him all Saturday night and never saw a single "sign". He must have been trying to send them to telepathically. I am a perceptive person but not that perceptive! So, let me recap. I bid conservatively so I am likely to under bid. Some time in the beginning of the hand Jim sends me some "sign" that I don't pick up on. Jim LOVES to go blind nill so course that is what he does. Now I HAVE to take any tricks I can to "cover" Jim. In the mean time Barb is a Spades shark! She remembers every card that has been played in the entire hand. I can't even remember which card on the table is the one I played. Then there is Kyle who "doesn't know how to play" yet always seems to come out smelling like a rose. So Jim takes a trick and I take extra "bags". Needless to say Jim and I got our butts kicked. But, I'm not bitter or anything. I'd play again but I am not sure Jim would want me as his partner again.

Saturday morning we went down town to the Field Museum. All of us really enjoyed it. Well, all of us except Barb. After that we spent the day on Michigan Avenue shopping. Everywhere we went was packed with people. We stopped by the American Girl store so Barb could pick up some things for Christmas and I could not believe the amount of people. It was absolutely crazy! We had reservations for diner at the Weber Grill. It was probably one of the best steaks I have ever had. But, the best part of the day was that I got some awesome shoes!

Sunday we stopped at IKEA on our way out of town. Jim and Barb had never been there. I don't know why but Kyle and I love that store. We would drive up to Chicago just to make a trip to IKEA.

This entry wouldn't be complete unless I thanked my parents for watching Jessi and Devin. When we originally planed this get away all the kids had going on was one soccer game Saturday morning. But by the time the weekend rolled around Devin's soccer team was playing in a tournament. So there were 5 soccer games at two different places. We really appreciate you taking time off work to come and watch/haul the kids around. Thank you very much.

Where to next?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you all had a great weekend. But now I know why I don't play cards. Too confusing and too much thinking for me.
Bonnie