Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving

I am going to warn you this is long. I'm not apologizing just letting you know!!!!


The weekend of Thanksgiving is probably one of my favorite times of the year. Now that our kids are older and involved in more things it is harder for us to make trips to the QC (home). Many Thanksgivings, Kyle and I talk about being able to spend a holiday in our home. We talk about how relaxing it would be. Because from the minute we arrive, we run from place to place. I am sure some of you may think this is an exaggeration but it is not. This year I want to be thankful for every thing we do and everyone we see. What follows is our known itinerary. I say known because there are several things that are not scheduled yet.

Wednesday: Today we will rush to get out of town so we can arrive in time to see my sister coach basketball. Afterwards (hopefully) we will go out for diner with her family. This is the only game I get to see her whole basketball season. Jackie would understand if we couldn't make it but I don't see her often enough and I love to get a glimpse of her life.

Thursday: In the morning we will go to Kyle's parent's house. It is "just" his immediate family. You know, parents, brother, sisters and their families. I say "just" because there will be about 23 people! That is unreal to me! My immediate family consists of 10. We'll eat to much, play games, and have to drag the kids away before they are ready to go. Then we will rush to my uncle's house for the "Hare" Thanksgiving, my mom's side of the family. All of my aunts, uncles, most of my cousins, and their children get together at my Uncle Phil's house. This year there will be at least 35 people. It is loud, unruly, crowded, and hilarious. It is a crazy family made up of crazy people.

Friday: In the morning my mom, dad, Kyle and I will go shopping. This is a new tradition that started last year. My mom didn't know it was tradition until I told her Monday night. Traditions are very important to me! Ask my mom and sister. I don't like things to change. I'll add new traditions but hold on tightly to old traditions. Anyway, we don't go to many stores. While we are at Target my mom and I sit in their cafe and drink coffee while my dad and Kyle look for the things on our list and buy things that are not on our list. Friday afternoon we "stalk the yule tide bush" ie: the Christmas Tree. My parents, sister, her family, Aunt and Uncle, and their kids cut down a live tree every year. How long it takes is in direct proportion to the weather. The colder it is the less time it takes. My Aunt Becki can find their tree in mere minutes if it is really cold! We tag along for the cookies and hot chocolate. Afterwards there is chili and hot dogs. Friday night Kyle and I go to Circa, a diner theater, with his brother, sisters, spouses and parents. It is the only time the whole year when the "adults" get together. I am certain it is Kyle's favorite part of the weekend. We look forward to it and talk about it all year.

Saturday: This is the "unplanned" day. Though it is always planed by the time we get there but with what varies every year. I have to take time to mention that my mom's birthday is November 24th. My mother LOVES her birthday. She counts down to it every year. So somewhere in this already crazy weekend we celebrate the day that is "all about me (mom)". This year my mother's birthday falls on Saturday. My mom is getting her hair done at 8:00 in the morning. I really wish it was later but.... Jessi and I are going along and all three of us are getting manicures. We'll take my mom out for breakfast afterwards. My mom wants to go shopping for Jessi in the afternoon. You notice I said Jessi, not my mom. My mother says the day is all about her but that is never the case. It is usually all about her grand children. We'll get together with my sister and her family that evening for diner, cake and ice cream.

Sunday: We'll try to leave early so we can get home, do laundry, and get ready for the week.

A part of all this craziness is trying to get to all of the places we love to eat. These include but are not limited to: Rudy's (Tex Mex), Adolph's (mexican), Harris (pizza), Hungry Hobo (sandwhiches), and Whitey's (ice cream).

So, when Kyle and I talk about staying here for a holiday we say it in passing. This year as we rush from place to place and worry about all of the things we can't do, I want to remember to be thankful. We are pulled in so many directions because we are loved. Our friends and family want to see us and reconnect with us. I am thankful Kyle and I have jobs that allow us the flexibility to leave early enough to get to my sister's game. I am thankful for the noise, laughter, and bickering, that I hear on Thanksgiving day. I am thankful we have the means to shop for Christmas gifts. I am thankful for the beauty we see as my parents search for the "perfect" tree. I am thankful for my in-laws. They have always made me feel loved and welcomed. I am thankful for my parents and my sister. I am thankful for my mom's enthusiasm for life.

As we drive home I am thankful for the peace and quiet!

No comments: