Thursday, August 14, 2008

A long time no update

I can't believe it was the end of June when I last updated my blog. Summer is almost over and school is just around the corner for Jessi and Devin. I thought I would write a summer wrap up/fall preview so here goes:

Jessi has finished with her "summer" softball team, The Flash. I think all of us are thankful. It was a much larger commitment then we thought. They didn't win to many games but it kept Jessi touching the softball. There is no doubt she got some good defensive experience. She had been in a hitting slump at the begining of the summer but by the last few games she was hitting and stealing bases. She had Rosati softball tryouts this week. There really wasn't any doubt that she would make the team but she wanted to win the center field spot, her favorite position. She is fast enough to cover a lot of outfield ground and has an arm strong enough to get the ball to home plate quickly. So far that looks like where she will be playing. She is looking for a "real job". Her fall is busy but gas is expensive, and I am trying very hard to close down the bank of dad (not to mention Grandpa L)! The thing is Jessi's boyfriend, Zach, lives in South County. 45 minutes of driving one way really impacts a teenagers gas budget. Not to mention Homecoming is around the corner. My plan is that between homework, softball and work there will be less time for Zach. Now don't get me wrong, I like Zach just fine. But he is a teenage boy after all. Jessi takes the SAT this year and should really start thinking about college. YIKES!!!!!!!! Now I feel old!

If it is possible, Devin might actually be busier than Jessi. He is playing on a select soccer team, Iron Kids Premier (IKP). The whole select soccer situation has been long, drawn out, and full of drama but hopefully things will go well. Devin wanted to play on a more competitive team. This team plays in the A league which is pretty tough. Hopefully they'll win a few games. He also plays on the St. Norbert soccer team. Last year Kyle had 22 kids (or so) on the team this year there is only 14, a more manageable number. Of course, I can't forget volleyball. Hopefully there won't be too many conflicts. 5th grade is a tough year at St. Norbert. The kids have a huge project to do (the State Fair) and they are expected to be more responsible and to manage their time. Thankfully school comes very easy to Devin. The manging his time part will take some work.

Kyle and I went to Las Vegas in July. He had a conference for work and I tagged along. We had a nice time. We stayed at the Palazio. It is a new part of the Venetian. Our room was huge and beautiful. The staff was great but it is not a cheep place to eat/hang out. Vegas seems to get more expensive each time we go. I still love it though. I'm bummed because this is the last week our pool is open during the day on weekdays. I guess it is time for me to stop goofing off on my days off work and start getting things done.

I really will try to keep this updated more often. Don't hold your breath though!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, we found out about the busy schedule when we were there with the kids when you went to Vegas. We had to come home to rest (smile), but we so enjoyed the great week with Jessica and Devin.
Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Keep the updates coming!

Hope you're rested up from that trip Mom, see in ATL to take care my kids next!