Monday, September 10, 2007

Washers, Volleyball and Back to the 80's

On Labor day a group of us met for our 2nd annual Washers Tournament. It was very hot but we persevered until one of the Mattioni boys suffered a football injury. With as many boys as there were it was only a matter of time before someone got hurt.

What more fun can a group of boys have than playing dodge ball in the sand?Doesn't anyone have any girls? There is Jessi (15 years) and there is Faith (6 months) between the two of them there is ALL BOYS! No wonder Jessi didn't have any interest in coming with us!

Nancy and Tim were partners and Barb and Jim were partners. Barb and Jim won this year. But we'll be gunnin for them next year.

Greg was stuck with me and Diane suffered with Kyle. Kyle and I are starting to catch on to the game so watch out next year. Actually Greg and I didn't do to bad. I even got a few "in the pipe".

My mom and dad came in town over the weekend to see Jessi play in a softball tournament, which was canceled. They also came to see Devin's NORCO soccer team play which was also canceled. They did get to see him play volleyball. My dad said the quality of play was much better than he expected. I guess that is a compliment.

Devin returns a serve. The boys had several volleys back and forth and do a pretty good job of playing their position. I don't know if you are aware but the best part of volleyball is that you (the player) get to slide on the floor with knee pads. I would say that 75% of the plays seem to require a 10 year boy to slide from one end of the court to the other in a dramatic way.

So, on Saturday we had tickets to see 38 Special, Kansas, and REO play at River port. It was very wet to begin with so we came prepared with tarps, umbrellas and ponchos. It rained on us and things were very muddy. Most of us stuck it out to the end. I guess we'll do anything to relive our "glory days". Barb and Jim attempt to stay dry during the rain. I think they had the most elaborate umbrella and tarp tent ever constructed.

Kenny came prepared with his hunting pants. Which, we made fun of until the end of the evening and he was the only one with dry pants.

Patty, Juan, Juan's brother Ulysses, Tim and Laura relax during a break from the rain.

I am fairly certain Kyle and I were soaked more than anyone else. Also my jeans and shoes were covered in mud. Don't tell Kyle I said this but wearing my heeled wedges was probably not the smartest choice.

Kelly, Juliette, Sue and Rob came after the rain had stoped. Clearly they are not as dedicated as the rest of us! (Or maybe they are smarter the rest of us? I am not sure which.)


Most of us enjoyed the concert. I thought all the bands sounded pretty good. Kyle thought the singer for Kansas wasn't as good as he remembered but that the music was great. They didn't play some of their more well known songs which annoyed some of us (Jim!). REO played all of their popular songs. They also played several songs off their new album which I could have done with out but I guess you gotta plug your work when you can. Also to quote Kelly, there needed to be "Less Talkin and More Rockin". I am amazed how much older all the bands looked. How could they have aged so much and we didn't age at all?

No comments: