Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Flooring Progress

I am SO HAPPY with how our floor looks. We aren't done with all of the little stuff at the end but here is our progress so far.

Wednesday we took all of the furniture out of the bedroom. We have stuff stashed all over the place. That is the part of the process that drives me CRAZY!

Thursday Kyle tore up the carpeting.

Friday, our friend Tim came over to help Kyle. They worked most of the afternoon. I was a little (maybe more than a little) stressed because by 6:00 they only had two or three boards in place. They started in the entry way in front of the stairs which was the hardest spot. Both of them were pleased with how things were going. At this point I was pretty sure I was going to be sleeping in the living room for weeks. They both kept reassuring me that the beginning pieces were the hardest and the most important. After these were done things would go much quicker. I have to stop here and mention that I adore Tim but he is a perfectionist. I would not call Kyle a perfectionist but when he does a project he is very precise and wants it done right. So while Tim and Kyle were loving all of the measuring and strategizing and remeasuring and restrategizing and cutting and restrategizing my stress level was rising. I wanted to scream, "Just put the board down!!!!!" (Deep breath) Anyway, Devin had basketball practice Friday night which Tim and Kyle coach. Afterwards Tim came back and he and Kyle worked until midnight on the floor. They were right things did start to go quicker and I was feeling better because the floor was looking fabulous.

Saturday, Kyle spent the entire day working on the floor. He was making real progress! I thought for sure he would finish Sunday.

Sunday, morning Kyle was feeling all of the work he had done in his knees. I am sure that he was getting tired of working on the floor but I was getting excited because I could see the end. Then, late in the afternoon Kyle smashed his finger. I am not sure exactly what he did but it was bad. He was in a lot of pain, there was blood and it swelled instantly. For awhile I thought we might be making a trip to the hospital. We didn't know how much he was going to be able to use it. We called Tim again. Did I mention how much I adore Tim? Tim came over after Devin's basketball game and helped Kyle finish the floor in the bedroom.

We moved our bed back into the bedroom. We have all of our transition pieces in place. Now we have to finish up with the baseboards and move our furniture back. I am truly happy with how the floor looks. Kyle worked really hard and did a great job!

Next: Carpeting for the family room, stairs and bonus room.

This is our bedroom before we started. We had so much junk stashed around our room. I am not moving anything back that I don't love!

Our bedroom after Kyle tore up the carpeting. I couldn't believe how much dust there was under the carpeting.

The finished product. It looks so great! Hopefully the baseboards will be done by the end of next weekend.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Floors look great! Those guys are good

Anonymous said...

Looks great! I hope the smashed finger is better -- we missed you at the basketball game Kyle!!!

Unknown said...

Oh, that floor looks great. Can't wait to actually see it. So rewarding, but sorry about the smashed finger. Hope it's getting better fast.
Mom/Bonnie
Too bad UMSL didn't have a snow day today.